Friday, June 17, 2011

My Favorite Summer Memories

Last week I was outside and I could smell the freshly mowed grass. I felt the warm rays of sun beating down on me and suddenly I was transported through all my favorite summer memories! I thought it'd be fun to write a few down to remember! Without further ado, my favorite summer memories (in random order)!

1) The day we brought Adria home from the hospital! It was sooo hot and I remember the heat and humidity enveloping me as I rode out in the wheelchair to the car. I remember being scared of the heat being too much for my little girl.

2) SWIMMING! So many memories are wrapped around the swimming pool at my parent's house. My birthday is also in the summer so we always swam at my parties each year. Wink Wink to all my friends who have been a part of my birthday swimming tradition! :)

3) I can't exactly remember when this was but I think it may have been early college years or right before college started. My parents were away for a night and so my closest girlfriends came over for a girl's night. I remember we stayed up most of the night talking, being silly, swimming, sitting outside in the balmy summer night. It was divine! I remember how intricately woven our lives were at that time.

4) The night before my wedding when we were at the rehearsal I dropped my necklace outside the church. One of my bridesmaids went with me to find it later that evening. I remember that feeling of giddiness over my wedding and searching the parking lot under the moon light.

5) My wedding! It was a warm July day but not overly hot for once! It was wonderful. I married my best friend that day.

6) Finding out I was pregnant with my second baby. I was at my parent's house and was trying to clean the pool for them and I was frustrated because I was so nauseated that I couldn't concentrate on getting the pool vacuum to work. I think that was the moment I knew I was pregnant without even taking a test.

7) Being kissed in a cool summer rain.

8) Sneaking out of my house to my own backyard to go swimming with my friend in the middle of the night. (we weren't allowed to swim unless mom and dad knew we were out there) I'm a rebel what can I say!?!?

9) I have no clue how old I was but I remember it being the very end of summer and school had started and we were starting to get a few cool days. I remember my family being outside and my dad having just mowed for one of the last times that summer/early fall. I was hanging off the monkey bars on the swing set and I remember a feeling of pure joy enveloping me as I watched my family and smelled the fresh grass being cut.

10) Opening the door to our first house four years ago. We camped out in the family room that night on air mattresses as we were painting and getting new carpet before moving in. It was so exciting and grown up, I owned a house with my husband!!!!

11) We were in high school and my friend and I had been outside all day in and out of the pool. I remember deciding we wanted popsicles so we climbed in the car. It was so hot that day it was like breathing in heat when we got into the car. We still had wet hair, wet swimsuits and now wet clothes, as we had thrown them on top of our swim suits. We ran down the road to our local grocery store and stepped inside and the ice cold air conditioning hits you dead on. Then we took our purchase of popsicles back home and sat out on the crackling hot patio to eat them.

12) HIDE and SEEK across three yards with the neighbors! Need I say more?!?!

13) My first kiss!

14) The Panty Pirates!

15) Vacations with my family out to Nebraska to visit my mom's side of the family.

Summers have always given me the sweetest memories! Now that I am grown I can't wait to make more memories with and for my children. I hope they treasure the summer months as much as I did and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment