Thursday, October 27, 2011

heartache for a world gone bad

For some it probably appears to be an unusual title for a blog entry. For others it might not seem so. For me it depicts a day of my life this past week.

With the new job I have this year I have been able to learn and do some new things as I teach about it to my students. While I was in Europe for a semester during college I had the opportunity several times to utilize public transportation. But here in the United States it is not a main source of transportation and have never had the need to utilize our public bus sytem here in the city. Since many of my students won't be able to get a driver's license they need to learn how to use the public bus system. On Wednesday this week we headed off for our first experience of the year. A first for me and a first for our new group of students. It was an adventure!

We were going to the Central Library and it took about an hour to get there via the public bus. When we boarded the bus it was empty but it began to fill up quickly as we made our trip downtown. At one point two men got onto the bus and sat right behind me. I wasn't shocked by their conversation but saddened! They were on their way to meet with their probation officers. For the greater part of 20 minutes their conversation went on about the time they've spent in jail, the times they were drunk or high on drugs. They discussed which drugs were harder to detox from. One of the men spoke about how he and his wife used to like to do meth together. While part of me wanted to roll my eyes that I was actually eavesdropping on such a silly conversation, a greater part of me wanted to cry for them!

When I think about raising children in this world it breaks my heart. I know my children have a sin nature and their sin is equal to the sins of those men. What breaks my heart is the temptations my children will grow up around. What breaks my heart is if they choose those temptations. What breaks my heart is with all of the training we will try to instill in them they do have a sin nature and it could potentially choose a path of life which is not pleasing to God.

As I watched all these different people choosing different lifestyles get on and off of the bus all I could think of was how heartbreaking it is to watch people choose a life that is not pleasing to God, how heartbreaking it is that those people will spend eternity in hell without the pleasure of being able to worship God. So my heart broke for the life I would have had without a savior, without redemption, grace, forgiveness, and mercy and my heart broke for those who will have that type of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment