Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Story of Us

There is a song by Francesca Battestelli called Write Your Story.  It has been out for awhile but it has struck a chord within me whenever I have heard it the last month or so.  The song talks about how powerful God is and that we should desire to be an open page so God can write our story and lead our lives on a path that He desires.

When I share about adopting with friends, family, and yes, strangers (so sue me, I'm a bit excited and can manage to bring adoption into any conversation), I often get many different reactions.  It can range from complete understanding to complete shock in kind of a negative way.  This past weekend I actually made a girl speechless after revealing we have three children and are adopting another who happens to be 15.  I kind of giggle on the inside when someone's eyes get a bit bigger at my revelations.  Then, there are the comments that are often made.  "What a lucky girl!" or "You are such an amazing person to do this!"  In those moments I struggle.  I actually don't really know what to say to people when they tell me those things.

Adoption is a heart breaking situation.  Adoption comes from loss and hurt.  Have you ever told someone they are lucky when they have been through a horrible situation, a painful experience, or abuse? I'm sure you are sputtering out a "Of course not!" reply right now.  If I have the chance to educate anyone on anything regarding adoption, it would be this point.  It breaks my heart that we have the option to adopt our daughter.  It does so because it means her family was torn apart for whatever reason and she has grown up without family and parents.  The fact that we are doing this doesn't mean we are good people.  She isn't lucky to have us.  And on the flip side, there are adopting parents who have experienced loss too.  They have tried to carry babies to term and not been able to, some never being able to conceive to begin with.

Despite the pain and loss, God writes our stories.  And so there is beauty that comes from the pain and loss. God doesn't make bad things or bad situations.  In the song I mentioned, part of the lyrics say "My life. I know it's never really been mine.  So do with it whatever You like.  I don't know what Your plan is. But I know it's good, yeah.".  I pray fervently that our daughter will know that her life was written by the Creator.  I have tried, as well as Josh, to keep our pages blank so God could be our author.  He wrote V onto our pages last winter when we choose her to host this past summer.  We have continued to choose to keep our pages open and blank so God can continue to fill the pages with this beautiful story.  We aren't good people, but we are blessed by God's story that He has written on our pages.  This is our story and I can't wait for God to reveal the next page of His masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment