Thursday, September 17, 2009

Family Time and Moles

*Note about last post-I was so frustrated and tired in my last post. It isn't that I hate being wee one's mama but there are definitely things I do hate about motherhood, like sleeplessness. I squeezed a nap or two in and am feeling a bit more human again.

I have been so busy lately with work and Best Buddies that I've been getting home later in the evening, like 6pm. Which leaves very little family time together. Poor hubby has been super dad and mom the last several evenings. Finally, yesterday I was able to be home after school! It was nice to have a normal evening together. The weather was so nice we went outside after dinner to swing. The dogs were playing in the yard and it gave Josh and I time to yabber with each other. All of the sudden death and destruction entered our family evening! YIKES! The dogs went nuts all of the sudden and started digging with extreme vigor. They had cornered a burrowing creature. Now this has happened in the past where they go nuts like they think they have hunted down a critter but we never see the critter. Well this time they truly had found a critter, a mole! Dachshunds are known for catching burrowing animals so it was an easy task for two at one time. There tails were wagging so fast and their little paws were digging so fast that we stopped swinging and went over to watch. Which now that I think about it sounds really morbid but I guess it is no different than watching animal planet! Anyhow, all the sudden the mole appeared and Duke grabbed it up in his greedy little mouth and off he trotted with it. Now the dumb dog doesn't eat critters he plays with them. So he tossed it around the yard a few times which I was yelling at him to stop. There is no reason to catch and then slowly torture the poor mole. And I swear I guess I have no concept of moles because I had no clue a mole looked like this. I would have taken a picture of it to post but I didn't want to get that close to the mangled body after Duke and Blossom were done playing with it and who really wants to see a bloody and tortured dead animal on a nice blog!?! In the end, Josh took a stick and flung it towards the field in the back of the yard. So now I am on a hunt to learn more about moles. I thought they were larger but it looked kind of like a mouse with no tail. I'll see what I can learn and share my knowledge in another post. But for now I'll leave you with the death and destruction lingering in your mind and I'll go get ready for work! : ) Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment