Pick-Up: Met and spent time with some other awesome host families in Cincinnati. It was a late night with lots of sleep in the van, except for me who was driving!
Day 1-Wednesday: We had a very slow start to the day. Our bio girls were very anxious to meet their new host sister and had to wait several hours while she continued to snooze the morning away. The meeting was anti-climatic much to our girls great excitement and anticipation. I thought perhaps she would try to use google translate after some sleep but there was just a lot of smiles and nods. We headed to Target for some staple clothing shopping with a gift card. After getting the basics and a few other just because items we were set. We spent some family time together in the evening.
Day 2-Thursday: Another slow start to the day and I think it was the last of the jet lag wearing off. We spent the morning with grocery shopping and some bonding time at home. In the afternoon we met my sisters and their kids at the splash park in Greenwood. We had fun and I was pulled under the big dump buckets one too many times. It made all the kids laugh so I guess the very chilly water was worth it. We spoiled our dinner with ice cream at Mrs. Curl's Ice Cream.
Day 3-Friday: Josh had to return to work and I was flying solo with all four girls. We had a few errands to run and we gave V a first time experience at the car wash. It was so cute to watch her reaction to the experience.
Day 4-Saturday: We experienced our first at home day. We did laundry, played, and rested. Eliza had went to the dr. friday evening for an ear infection and felt puny. We managed to entertain ourselves despite the grumpy toddler.
Day 5-Sunday: I was looking forward to church but Eliza had a fever again in the night which meant not very much sleep and no church. Sunday was probably the roughest day we have had so far. It was raining and everyone felt a little stir crazy and I was exhausted. The girls watched a movie during nap time and I completely fell asleep in the recliner. When Josh got home from work I ran to the grocery store. I needed the reprieve from grumpy toddler and clingy children.
Day 6-Monday: Happy Birthday America! That is how we tried to explain the holiday to her. I have no clue if she has any knowledge about America so I tried to keep things basic! We had my parents and Josh's mom over for some BBQ at lunch time. Then, Josh and Dad decided to replace a light fixture in our kitchen so we had a little bit of house work done too. We played lots of Uno while the guys worked. This afternoon we had a bit of quiet time.
And that brings us up to me sitting on the couch, with girls on either side of me, writing this post. It has been more challenging for me, personally, because I am in demand for more physical contact. Besides having a toddler who constantly wants mommy to hold her and a very affectionate 7 year old who likes lots of pressure contact, I know have a young teen who needs and wants lots of affection. By bed time I feel creepy and crawly on my skin from so much contact all day long. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade all the lovin' for anything but it is taking some adjustment since I am not an overly touchy/feely person. One thing that is different this hosting is bed time. She loves to have me tuck her in and help get ready for bed. She also likes to go to bed wayyyyy earlier than our host daughter from last summer. I am thankful for that. Last summer we were lucky to go to bed by 11pm most nights. God always weaves the pattern of His work perfectly. I was gearing up for lack of sleep and instead I am getting sleep (when the toddler isn't sick) and learning to share myself more than I thought was possible. I am thankful for the sleep so I can start the day refreshed and ready for all the hugs and snuggles I am getting!
Prayer Requests:
-V would feel more and more comfortable with us and open up more
-I would be at peace with the lack of verbal communication
- Adria is struggling with the changes in the family and experiencing some "growing pains" personally
-pockets of time to be made for Josh and I to connect as a couple in order to better parent both the bios and host daughter!
-time to be made for prayer and quiet time with God!!!
Physical Needs:
-a pair of gloves and a winter hat
-tennis shoes
-FRUIT! We hate to deny her food when she and most other orphans are starving for good nutrition but we also can't financially increase our grocery budget! She is definitely making up for the lack of food and lack of variety of produce. Fruit is a special treat in Ukraine. She is so willing to try all the food we have given her.
No comments:
Post a Comment