Confessions of a mom: I'm not just a toy or a source of food. I'm not just a wife or a face to kiss or a set of hands to prepare food and clean the house. I'm not just a teacher. I'm not just a picker upper of all things left out at the end of the day. I'm not just a doctor of small cuts and splinters. I'm not just a disciplinarian or prison ward. I'm not just a professional wearing nice clothes. I'm not just a brain that cranks out ideas. I'm not just a pet owner who cleans up your messes and feeds your mouth and pets you. I'm not just a two minute speed showerer. I'm not just a multitasker of seven different tasks at one time. I'm not just one giant post-it note that remembers all things. I'm not just a place for drool to collect. I'm not just a bus driver to cart you here and there. I'm not just an advisor who has paperwork and events to plan.
I AM a child of God who needs to praise her Savior each day and must remind myself of this daily. I am a wife who loves her husband without ceasing. I am a mom who admittedly gets frustrated with her child and asks for forgiveness of an eight month old for my irrational anger. I am a teacher who doesn't always have the answers. I am a woman who loves taking a bath, doing my nails, make-up, and hair because it makes me feel pretty. I am a disciplinarian because it is what is best for you, just as God is my disciplinarian because it is best for me. I am exhausted and cried several times this week because I didn't know what else to do. I am mad that Adam and Eve brought sin into the world. I am thankful for my husband who loves and cares for me despite my blaringly loud flaws.
It wasn't the best of weeks in the Kunkel household. We're mending moment by moment. Sleep is helping. Prayer is helping. Tears have/are helping. Milestones are great. Graduating high school was exciting, going to college was adventurous, living an ocean away for several months was scary and exhilarating, becoming a teacher was amazing, marrying the love of my life was ecstasy, having a marriage is fun work, becoming a parent is the most difficult thing I have done to date. All these other milestones came easily to me. Most days I think I screw up royally. I hate not being good at things. I am competitive and like to excel at everything I tackle. Thankfully, I have God who does not require perfection. Thanfully, I have Josh who does not require perfection. Thankfully, I have Adria who doesn't know what perfection is. Thankfully, I have my family who doesn't require perfection. Thankfully, I have my students who remind me daily that perfection is overrated.
No comments:
Post a Comment